Let's start here:

I am easily frustrated by small--really insignificant things.

What are these things?

Computers for one. Computers that don't do what I am trying to get them to do. Computers that shift the buttons around in the program I'm working with. Computers that place a different link under the link I was clicking on just as I click. Websites whose FAQs have probably never been asked by anyone, whose FAQs don't include the most obvious questions, whose "search" function spits up a thousand things that could not possibly be relevant to what I want to know, that no where gives an answer to the simple question I actually asked.

The slowness with which I learn things. After studying French daily for five years, I still cannot say I'm fluent in the language. If I watch the French news, I now know what they're talking about. But I don't know what they're saying about it.

Typing. I've been typing for 45 years. I'm very fast. I would be able to say I'm a good typist but for one thing: I often words that are in no way related to the word I intend. I intend too write "any" but on the screen "if" appears.

Proofreading. I don't notice the "if" for years even though it makes nonsense of the sentence, "take if one of them you like."

Laying on flat surfaces flat objects that nonetheless fall off. I lay a book on a table and then hear it splash onto the floor. This happens all the time.

Idiots with strong opinions they see no need to support or try.

I could go on.

The problem: truly spiritual people don't react like this.

I know absolutely that the reactions are unproductive, that the frustration that motivates them has nothing to do with the triggering events. The spiritual peace that passes understanding, the calm acceptance of things can can't be changed or do not matter--these things escape me. I'm instead always frustrated, worked into unproductive anger at myself or at things.

Comments

Popular Posts